4.02.2009

gun play isn't always bad :)

My three boys, ages 8, 4 and 2 have gun toys...adequate pause for gasps...and I'm finally okay with that. I started my career in motherhood vehemently opposed to any such propaganda, but have slowly let them in--mainly Nerf guns and those super tiny Lego ones. I used to see the weapons that slowly pervaded our toy bins as a direct failure on my behalf. They were a symbol that I wasn't strong enough...or worse, that I gave up my ideals. Regardless of how they got here, they're here. I have to admit that I have the occasional thoughts of gathering them all up into a big trash bag sometimes. today is not one of thse days, though.

Today, my kids and their neon colored guns made me smile. The older two were fully engaged in an elaborate battle as the wee one ran after them, begging to "pay too". After a few minutes, they both stopped and found one of the smaller pieces in their arsenal for their little bro to play with. He was delighted, but quickly be came disenchanted when his wouldn't "soot". The big brothers came back to his aid and readied the weapon to be fired. The oldest shot it and showed him how it would work. He immediatedly wanted it loaded again, which his 4 year old brother obliged. When he was handed back the gun he was so excited that he squealed with delight. To this obvious display of gratitude his 4 year old brother responded, "Man, H, you are so cute. I just love you!" Then he ran in to tell me how cute his brother was and just how much he loved him. See, guns aren't always so bad ;)

1 comment:

Meesh said...

Love it! And I can vividly picture the conversation too!